One of the few things I love about summer is watermelon. I can't think of a more refreshing fruit. As the days get hotter, watermelons seem to get sweeter and juicier. That said, why not treat yourself to a poolside cocktail. Enjoy!
Watermelon Splash // Makes 1 cocktail
1 large lime wedge (1/4 of a lime)
3 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
Pinch fine sea salt
1 ounce simple syrup, recipe follows
1/2 cup watermelon juice, see note below
2 ounces light rum
1/2 cup club soda
Watermelon slices, for garnish
Lime slices, for garnish
- Muddle the lime, mint and salt in a cocktail shaker to release the juices and oils.
- Add the simple syrup, watermelon juice and rum.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 5 -10 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with the club soda and garnish with mint, lime or watermelon.
- Serve immediately.
Simple Syrup // Makes about 1 3/4 cups
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the sugar and salt have completely dissolved; do not bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate until cool.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
NOTE: To make the watermelon juice, cut the flesh of 1/2 watermelon into chunks. Pulse the chucks in a food processor until smooth. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.